[Dixielandjazz] Chords On Coney Island Washboard

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Wed May 4 15:41:24 PDT 2005

Robert S. Ringwald wrote:

> Does anyone have the original sheet music to Coney Island Washboard?
> I am wondering what chords are shown for the 25th & 26th measures?
>
> For instance, in the key of Ab, would they be Db Db, or Db D min, or
> Db d dim, or db E?
>
> Personally I like Db E.  Gives it a nice flavor.  But I am curious as
> to what the original sheet music says.

We, Sac à Pulses, play it in G (I believe the original key) with Eb7 in
both bars 25 & 26.  Thus, in Ab, these bars would be E7.  I do not think
the IVth degree is played at all in those measures.  To me, playing the
#V7 here makes a wink at the use of the #V7 (twice) in the verse.

I just looked it up; the Anderson book agrees with me.

All the best, Gary "soap suds on the ground" Kiser

Gary Kiser
www.sacapulses.com
www.mojobrassband.com