[Dixielandjazz] The "Probert" Method

Michael Woitowicz banjobarons at nconnect.net
Wed May 4 13:26:04 PDT 2005

Richard Redmond
8th St 7 DJB
Palm Springs CA  (where the stars come out to play).
said (in part):

"After I got through with the shock, he told me to buy a
metrinome with a light on it, and practice scales with different
articulations
(EX. the Pares excercises for wind instruments).  I found that this allowed
my
"cheating" to vastly go away, and my playing turned into clearly sounding
each
note with even continuity and I could stay with the beats.  What a help this
was as I continued to work on a daily basis.  It really did not take too
long
only a few months.  So I guess I am the only one who uses the term the
"Probert Method", but I believe in it, and I recomend it for all players,
well maybe
not for banjo or washboard players. "

I can speak for banjo and washboard players, since I play both. For anyone
who plays any single string or chord melody on the banjo, practice with a
metronome (the electronic types are the best) is essential to get a clear
sounding melody line. I use it all the time when learning new stuff -- it's
essential. I insist all my students do the same. To get the speed up, simply
learn the line(s) cleanly at a low speed (BPM), and slowly move it up one
notch every few days. Moving from 100 BPM to 105 BPM is barely perceptible
when practicing. But by moving it up slowly every few sessions, speed and
clarity can be achieved in a relatively short time.

Clarity is not so much an issue with the washboard, but good timekeeping is.

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
The Dixie Barons Dixieland Band
www.banjomusic.biz