[Dixielandjazz] Re: Early Dixieland Tuba Solos

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed May 4 09:30:39 PDT 2005

Bill Haesler wrote:

>>In this name dropping game about tuba players, I do not see the name of
>>Louise Anderson.......led a short lived but wonderful group,
>>

>Chicago Rhythm.......... played solid tuba.
>Dear Don,
>I couldn't agree more.
>I have their Stomp Off LP (SOS 1026). Recorded in Sept 1982.
>A great little group with listmate Butch Thompson, cl, p; as a guest on
>several tracks.
>Kind regards,
>Bill.
>PS: Catch any of them big trout on the weekend?
>(Jazz content: Jelly's "Fishtail Blues [Sidewalk Blues]".)

G'day, mate William:
The trout here are wearing long johns (wool underware) and so fishing
was slow. We have been having February in May -- was 28 F last night (about
-2 C for our metric lurkers. With all this talk about global warming we
are wondering when we get in on it here in North Michigan.
But things are beginnng to warm up, and so I suspect I will be hauling
my old bones to the creek more frequently.
I must send you the tape I made at Central City festival in Colorado in
'81. We (Sons of Bix) followed them on a set, and I had this very good
but mono recorder and left it on to catch their set. Some wonderful
playing, live, and free wheeling. Louise did the announcements between
numbers.
Please post me your mail address -- do not find it at hand. Was on older
computer now packed away. I will send it to you since you enjoyed the
group's studio cuts.
Like all bands, I think that the live stuff is often better since there
is the adrenal interaction with the audience. At least most of the time
it is better, though  I can recall a few times when audiences were a
hinderance thanks to loud-mouthed louts who couldn't stop talking when
we were playing.
As you head towards your winter, we look forward to losing the last of
ours...two months late already at this end.
Be well, play good, listen hard, and enjoy the hell out of it all.
Regards,
Don Ingle