[Dixielandjazz] PRACTICE????????

eighthst7 at aol.com eighthst7 at aol.com
Tue May 3 14:27:00 PDT 2005

Some 3 months ago, instead of continuing to brag  that "I never practice" and
always feeling "NOT GOOD ENOUGH  - ON CLARINET" and playing my Soprano Sax
instead because it is easier and  using the the famous George Probert* method, I
had a really interesting idea.  I decided to start practicing, thinking a few
weeks of 20 - 30 minutes a day would probably bring me up to par.  I was
amazed to find what a difference it made in my playing AND MY CONFIDENCE.   I
rapidly found myself feeling I could play in anybody's band on any tune, and the
fear went away.  (It transfers to sax ,for reed players, easily also).  I was
the guy who formed my own band, because no one else would ever hire me.  What a
neat experience.  My fellow musician here in Palm Springs, Richard Broadie,
tells me the same think happened to him.  What a concept,  PRACTCE MAKES
PERFECT.  And I am the former teacher and school band director who used to preach
practicng with his students.

Richard Redmond
8thStreet Seven,  Palm Springs, CA

*  If you don't know about the George Probert Method send me a personal EMail

Fellow musician