[Dixielandjazz] Obbligato v Solo

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue May 3 10:18:08 PDT 2005

Hello all,

Anton Crouch sent us several paragraphs (cited from Grove) concerning the
nature of the obbligato in music.  This is all general information and
doesn't shed much light on the original question.

The original question???  Oh yes, I remember now - it was over a specific
piece of music.

I believe Russ Guarino posted something about the "clarinet solo" in the
compositon "High Society."

My response was that it was probably more correctly referred to as an
"obbligato" rather than a "solo." (Notice my use of the terms "probably" and
"more correctly" used as qualifiers - I dislike absolutes).

Here are my reasons:

1. A "solo" means "alone" -- since the clarinet part in question is played
above the main theme of the song it is obviously not a "solo."

2. It has become a standard part in the composition to the point where if it
were omitted from a performance its omission would be noted by others --
hence one is virtually 'obligated' to play the damn thing!

3. I don't believe the meaning of the term "obbligato" has degenerated to
the point where it means anything you play in counterpoint to the melody
(i.e. - the clarinet noodling around during an ensemble chorus).  -- If a
word means anything you want it to mean then it no longer means anything.

However, over and above these points. I do believe that Russ Guarino does
have a valid point. The clarinet part in "High Society" is often played by
itself (without the accompanying principal theme) during a performance in
which case it does indeed become a "solo." But - it has become such a
standard part of the tune that it virtually stands alone in its importance!
Nevertheless, it is still an "obbligato."

There are other terms we use (counterpoint, quotation, descant, etc.) that
refer to additional musical lines being added to the main thrust of the
melody which aren't as rigidly set as the obbligato. The performer can play
pretty much any musical line in a descant as long as it fits. Whereas the
obbligato must be played in its essential form .

Consider the piccolo part in "Stars and Stripes Forever" -- If the
piccoloist were to play some other sequence of notes during that famous
section of the composition he'd be run outa town on a rail!

If the piccolo part is played all by itself, without the accompanying
principal theme it would definitely be a solo but it would also definitly be
recognized as belonging to that particular Sousa composition.

To further emphasize the "obbligato" nature of the part, if you were to play
it as a "quotation" in some other composition, the savvy listener would
immediately recognize it as an essential part of the original composition.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "sorta picky" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com