[Dixielandjazz] Re: Newberger "doubling"

Dick Miller Dick_Miller at pmug.org
Tue May 3 09:29:25 PDT 2005

civanj at adelphia.net writes:
>I hadn't heard that prelude #3
>up til now, one of my favorite Newberger "Schticks'
>but I can't remember which song now, is when he plays tuba
>on an oriental theme tune while playing the finger cymbals with his
>other hand. - Great fun. Love his sense of humor.
>
>Craig
>(Exeunt, stage left)

Craig:

I've heard what you're talking about. In fact, I've got the Black Eagles
tape (somewhere) on which he does the finger-cymbal trick on several
tunes. You're right about his sense of humor. But then, that's a
prerequisite for being involved in this kind of heavy metal music, I
think. ;-)

In fact, I just got a nice note from Eli, who had my post forwarded to him
by Charlie Wride. He said:

"Since you got such a kick out of the Gershwin number on the "Shake It
Down" CD, I thought you might like to see a video of it taken last
September.  Just scroll down here:
http://www.elinewberger.com/music_listen.html"

I haven't checked it out yet, but I imagine the performance lacks a lot of
the usual motion of a Newberger solo. One of his fans, while watching Eli
take a solo at the San Diego festival some years back, turned to me and
said, "It looks like he's making love to that horn." In the notes to the
"Shake it Down" CD, Eli mentions what a balancing act it is to get through
the tune without having the tuba slip off one's lap.

--Dick Miller