[Dixielandjazz] Re: Early Dixieland Tuba Solos

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon May 2 13:01:11 PDT 2005

Bob, Bill, and DJML--
     Yes, that was Don Kinch on a very tasty tuba (but he sometimes
also played a helicon) on "Fidgety Feet" on the 1960 album _Dixieland
Favorites_ by The Firehouse Five Plus Two (but the label-number was
Good Time Jazz M 12040, not 12044).
     I started playing along with this solo back in 1960 and can still
play it (just did it, matter of fact).  Kinch was an excellent
tuba-player, but he also played some fine trumpet, such as on my
favorite Turk Murphy recording, _Music for Losers_ (Verve MGV-1013,
1957), long out of print and never put onto CD, unfortunately.  Don't
have the Rich Matteson solo on Scobey's LP (drat).

     Dan