[Dixielandjazz] An outstanding tuba solo

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Mon May 2 12:02:15 PDT 2005

Bill,

The term "Obligato" has taken on a kind of specialized meaning in this
discussion e-mail group and has been assigned the general meaning of the
clarinet going up and down the horn doing harmonic "color" behind the soloist
or during the ensemble chorus.

I notice that most bands think of the clarinet's job as doing the "Obligato"
work.  When I first hear the expression, I wasn't sure what it meant as
technically, in classic work, it means a solo or smi-solo that moves through a
number of notes spanning the instrument, up and down the instrument's range. [
At least that's how I understood it ].

Defining the clarinet's job in Dixieland, when not soloing, I think of the
clarinet adding "harmonic color" which could be obligato movements,  pedal
tones, long tones or chordal sequential movement at a moderate speed.  I do all
of the above depending on the tune and nature of the phrasing.

Steve Barbone is the master of these things, I wonder what would be his
explanation.

Russ Guarino