[Dixielandjazz] An outstanding tuba solo

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon May 2 11:31:12 PDT 2005

Hi Russ and all,

I'm not sure I totally agree with your definition of "obligato" . . .
"Obligato is the general background movement of the clarinet during full
ensemble or backing up other instruments."

My music dictionary defines 'obbligato' as "a part which cannot be omitted,
being indispensably necessary to a proper performance . . ." - sort of an
"obligatory" part, I would imagine.

However, some others may chime in with a comment or two along the way to
either support or attack my position.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "picky picky picky" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com