[Dixielandjazz] Early Dixieland Tuba Solos CD

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Sun May 1 15:45:53 PDT 2005

Folks--
     A couple of weeks ago i sent out a list of dixieland tuba-solos
from c. 1950-2004 that i put onto a CD.  I didn't have room for
dixieland tuba-playing songs from before that, so i made another CD
of songs from the 1920s through the early 1950s in which the
tuba-player is agile, inventive, or just plain good--whether or not
he actually takes a solo.  Since there were fewer players, i was able
to include a number of songs by each player.  Quite a few of these
songs are currently available on http://www.redhotjazz.com if you
want to make your own. These are by no means the only good examples
of fine tuba-playing, just the ones that i've discovered so far.  I
would especially like to find more songs and more information about
Clinton Walker, who is just great. The cut by Country Washburne ain't
dixieland, i know, but so far i haven't been able to find any other
solos by him.  Maybe someone out there knows of some, eh?

  1) "Weird Blues", Hayes Alvis
         April 17, 1929; Jabbo Smith's Rhythm Aces

  2) "Sau Sha Stomp", Lawson Buford
         March 1, 1929; Jabbo Smith's Rhythm Aces

  3) "Panama", 'Chink' Martin Abraham
         April 25, 1928; Johnnie Miller's New Orleans Frolickers

  4) "Candy Lips", Cyrus St. Clair
         January 25, 1927; Clarence Williams and His Orchestra

  5) "Close Fit Blues", Cyrus St. Clair
         September 23, 1927; Clarence Williams and His Orchestra

  6) "Log Cabin Blues", Cyrus St. Clair
         April 18, 1928; Clarence Williams and His Orchestra

  7) "Shooting the Pistol", Cyrus St. Clair
         July, 1927; Clarence Williams and His Orchestra

  8) "After You've Gone", Joe Tarto
         January 27, 1927; Charleston Chasers

  9) "Bass Ale Blues", Joe Tarto
         February, 1926; The Hottentots

10) "Darktown Strutters Ball", Joe Tarto
         March 9, 1927; Miff Mole's Molers

11) "Gettin' Hot", Joe Tarto
         May 23, 1929; Napoleon's Emperors (Original Memphis Five)

12) "Hittin' the Ceiling", Joe Tarto
         April 19,1929; Nat Shilkret & His Orchestra

13) "King Porter Stomp", Joe Tarto
         February 26, 1925; Lanin's Red Heads

14) "Sometimes I'm Happy", Joe Tarto
         March 23, 1927; The Hottentots

15) "Wabash Blues", Joe Tarto
         February 25, 1927; Charleston Chasers

16) "Do Shuffle", Clinton Walker
         April 22, 1929; Fess Williams and his Royal Flush Orchestra

17) "I'm Feeling Devilish", Clinton Walker
         April 18, 1930; Fess Williams and his Royal Flush Orchestra

18) "Boogie Woogie", Clinton Walker
         April 10, 1930; King Oliver's Orchestra

19) "I Want You to Myself", Clinton Walker
         November 6, 1929; King Oliver's Orchestra

20) "Too Late", Clinton Walker
         October 8, 1929; King Oliver's Orchestra

21) "When Yuba Plays the Rhumba on the Tuba", Joe 'Country' Washburne
         November, 1946; Spike Jones and his Other Orchestra

22) "Asleep in the Deep", Phil Stephens
         March 3, 1952; Pete Daily and His Chicagoans

23) "Big Bass Horn Blues", Phil Stephens
         October 19, 1949; Pete Daily's Dixieland Band

24) "North", Phil Stephens
         March 3, 1952; Pete Daily and His Chicagoans

     Dan