[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 27, Issue 61

GWW174 at aol.com GWW174 at aol.com
Wed Mar 30 21:46:33 PST 2005

In a message dated 3/30/2005 6:56:43 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:
In my experience with polychoral singing in cathedral-like settings
(Calvary Presbyterian, Riverside, CA, eg), the entire show depended on
the conductor, and he relied solely on the visual.  Add multiple
conductors to the picture, and you can imagine how crucial it was NOT to
even CARE what the sound was doing, but what the conductor's HANDS were
doing...,
By Jove, I think F.R. MJ Mike has hit upon something I never thought
about..... The conductor's roll of swinging his hands around evolved from the fact
that the orchestra was spread out with members more than 50 foot apart from each
other.  Who's beat was on the mark?  Who had the REAL time?  Musicians were
taught from an early age to not depend on their ears but the VISUAL cue from the
conductor was THE BEAT..... imagine that... man figured out a solution to the
problem before stage monitors and headphones and electronics!

Gordon of Northridge.