[Dixielandjazz] "Dixie", and other stuff.

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Tue Mar 29 00:15:41 PST 2005

On Mar 28, 2005, at 10:19 PM, Mike C. wrote:

> Us "yankees" despise it even more;-).......

Don't know why they should - it was reported to be one of Lincoln's
favorite tunes!  It is a part of our American culture and history
(sorry, all of you non-USians on the list ;-)   - just as much as any
other tune from that time. Even though my personal ancestry from those
years was from both the South and North I can try to separate all of
the "baggage" that has been attached to that song and perform it with
not much pain.

I agree that it is better played in 3/4 time as it was sometimes done,
but it is hard to convince a lot of musicians to do it that way...
AFAIK, the original music was in 2/4:
http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/sheetmusic/n/n08/n0807/n0807-2
-72dpi.html

There is another tune that , while it is not as much of an  OKOM
standard as "Battle Hymn of the Republic" or "Dixie" might be, was
quite as popular during and after that war and a few OKOM bands still
play it;  "Marching Through Georgia" is a song of Yankee conquest and
domination that even General Sherman himself did not want to hear!

If you search the internet on that title you will find all sorts of
viewpoints about "Dixie" and "Marching Through Georgia" - it is still
saddening that a war over 140 years ago still causes such anger (but
that sometimes seems to be the way it is with people from any part of
the world... )

Dave Richoux (of Louisiana and Nebraska Lands...)