[Dixielandjazz] Musical Quote

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Thu Mar 24 00:30:32 PST 2005

On Mar 23, 2005, at 11:09 PM, Fred Spencer wrote:

> I am surprised that you are allowed to sell your book directly at a
> reduced price. My understanding was that academic presses do not do
> this. Certainly The University Press of Mississippi doesn't allow me
> to rerduce the $35.00 price of my book, "Jazz and Death. Medical
> Proflies of Jazz Greats", nor did the University of North Carolina
> Press with a medical book I co-authored.
> As for reviews, I edited a medical journal and reviewed many books,
> some with reserve, but any quotes I remember seeing by an author from
> these reviews were, naturally, favorable even if I had not been too
> benevolent.

Fred, my contract with Scarecrow allows me to purchase books very
cheaply for giveaway, which I did for family and a few close friends. I
get a less-reduced price for personal re-sale books (not at bookstore
signings). I sell at a break-even level because I can afford to and I
want the ideas to be in circulation. Books that I buy don't draw
royalties, so I'm guessing that the publisher doesn't lose out,
depending on their unit cost. Re positive quotes from reviews, some of
the reviewers I cited had particular criticisms or reservations but the
quotes didn't distort. I think it's fine to pull the best bites from
basically favorable reviews but unethical to cite a benevolent line
from a negative review. Congrats on your books and kudos thereon.

Charlie Suhor