[Dixielandjazz] Musical Quote

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Wed Mar 23 21:09:38 PST 2005

Scarecrow Press seems to have moderated its prices by publishing more paperbacks instead of its expensive hardbacks such as "This Horn For Hire" (Pee Wee Erwin), at $62.95 in 1987, and "Jimmy Dorsey. A Study in Contrasts" at $88.00 in 2000, neither of which, as far as I know, has ever been reduced in price either in a paperback edition, or in a mail order or internet sales catalog. Contrast this with the Oxford University Press (OUP), a prolific jazz book publisher, which reduces its prices in its sales catalogs such as the $49.95 "Oxford Companion to Jazz" on sale for $15.00! The OUPalso publishes less expensive paperback editions after a year or two.
I am surprised that you are allowed to sell your book directly at a reduced price. My understanding was that academic presses do not do this. Certainly The University Press of Mississippi doesn't allow me to rerduce the $35.00 price of my book, "Jazz and Death. Medical Proflies of Jazz Greats", nor did the University of North Carolina Press with a medical book I co-authored.
As for reviews, I edited a medical journal and reviewed many books, some with reserve, but any quotes I remember seeing by an author from these reviews were, naturally, favorable even if I had not been too benevolent. Virginia Wolff in her essay, "Reviewing", wrote that " the reviewer has to write in haste and to write shortly...he knows he is hampered, distracted, prejudiced." Despite these shortcomings, these are four of the many good reviews about my book --"an invaluable compendium, for jazz fan and scholar alike." (Ask About Jazz), "has combined his medical knowledge and love of jazz into a truly unique volume." (Jazz Beat), "after several [5] years of effort he has produced a highly valuable reference book" (IAJRC JournaL), and "a valuable supplement to the growing library of jazz biographies and even to some larger and more substantial reference works" (Midwest Book Review).
Two reviews from France seem equally flattering, but my German is too limited to present.a Teutonic viewpoint. Regards.
Fred.
  ----- Original Message-- r