[Dixielandjazz] Musical Quote

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Mar 22 10:06:49 PST 2005

On Mar 22, 2005, at 10:48 AM, Fred Spencer wrote:

> Dear Charles,
> Thank you for your suggestion about using the Inter Library Loan (ILL)
> progam. It is certainly a wonderful source of books that are out of
> print or too expensive to consider owning. Occasionally the ILL
> librarians have been able to locate what I want in a nearby state,
> college, or university library which means that I haven't had to wait
> for a week or more for the volume to be mailed. Along those lines,
> Scarecrow Press and Greenwood Press publish a lot of jazz books that
> are almost all prohibitively costly. Regards.
> Fred

Interesting you should mention Scarecrow Press. My Scarecrow book now
retails at $47 ("Jazz in New Orleans: The Postwar Years Through 1970").
It's part of their cooperative series with the Rutgers Institute of
Jazz Studies, mostly things you won't find elsewhere, so they can be
pricey. (I can sell authors' copies for $35, which lowers price
resistance some.) I went with Scarecrow/Rutgers because my topic fit
the concept of their Studies in Jazz Series, plus they have a
reputation for not tinkering endlessly with your manuscript, and they
keep your book on their list rather than dropping it as out of print.
Of course, many books for niche audiences don't have big print runs so
the prices are higher than the larger publishing houses.

Charlie Suhor

Here's a sampler of the positive reviews of my book. All told, there
were 23 plusses and three negatives. You can't win 'em all.

JAZZ IN NEW ORLEANS--THE POSTWAR YEARS  (2001; 330 pp., 34 photos)

"recommended highly and without hesitation..." Tom Jacobsen,
MISSISSIPPI RAG

"a valuable book...I just sat back and enjoyed it..." Paige Van Vorst,
JAZZBEAT

“Suhor speaks with both authority and immediacy..." Tommy Sancton, New
Orleans jazz clarinetist, former Paris Correspondent, TIME Magazine

"insider's insights prevail...a unique perspective..." Geraldine
Wycoff, JAZZTIMES

“an extremely informative read…” Butch Thompson, BUTCHTHOMPSON.COM

"Brilliant...one cannot help but be charmed by this writing..." Gilbert
Erskine, IARC JOURNAL

"conveys an authentic feel of New Orleans...a perspective that one just
does not get from the histories...written from the outside..." Tom
Pizza, NEW ORLEANS REVIEW

"a must-read...enlightening...well-researched...the most accurate and
comprehensive picture to date of jazz in New Orleans from 1945 to
1970..." Bill Milkowski, JAZZ NOTES

"essential reading..." Jonathan Tabak, OFFBEAT

"worthy of a wide audience..." Jason Berry, NEW ORLEANS

"first-rate...alive with insight...fresh anecdotes..." Patricia Parker,
JAZZCOOKIN.COM

"Suhor rises above advocacy, partisanship and politics to put jazz in
New
Orleans in historical and stylistic perspective..." Doug Ramsey,
author, JAZZ MATTERS

"Suhor teases out the quirky, only-in-New-Orleans themes..." Jamie
Hutchinson, AMERICAN BOOK REVIEW

"a remarkable work..." Larry Nai, CADENCE

"Suhor is able to deal with equal empathy with the traditionalists and
the modernists..." from the Foreword, Dan Morgenstern, INSTITUTE OF
JAZZ
STUDIES, Rutgers University