[Dixielandjazz] Musical Quote

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Mon Mar 21 12:25:50 PST 2005

Sad & funny stuff. Want more? Someone on the list recommended to me
Karl Koenig's Jazz in Print (1856-1929): An Anthology of Selected Early
Readings in Jazz History. It's filled with debates about (mostly
bashings of) ragtime, with ample confusion after 1917 of ragtime, jazz,
and other popular musics. You can buy this very fat book but I got it
on interlibrary loan, a gold mine in the U.S. for getting books that
aren't stocked in your library's shelves, that you can't afford, that
you'd like to read but not own, etc. Here in Montgomery, Ala., I've
borrowed dozens of offbeat books that way and the librarians are
thrilled, if curious, that an old guy would be requesting arcane books
on jazz and collections by poets with funny names.

Charlie Suhor