[Dixielandjazz] South by Southwest Showcase - Austin Texas.

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 21 06:08:59 PST 2005

Hey Dan Augustine:

Any OKOM bands, besides the Ukulele players here for this Mega Music
Showcase Event?. Damn, we missed our big chance. :-) VBG

Hey Wiggins, what say we go in 2006? :-) VBG

Better yet, how about we organize an 2006 OKOM showcase at Spirit Lake in
Okoboji? We'll get help from the Spirits of Music Past.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

March 21, 2005 CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK NY TIMES By JON PARELES

Talent Meets Commerce in Austin
By JON PARELES

AUSTIN, March 20 - Performing in a penthouse lounge, with the Austin skyline
behind her, the songwriter Jesca Hoop sang skeptically about pop ambition.
"Money make you change your style," she cooed, over a hint of a Latin beat.
"If the price is right, you forfeit your style without a fight."

Ms. Hoop, who has been building an audience around Los Angeles, isn't
planning to change her style. Like most of the 1,350 singers, songwriters,
bands, rappers and ukulele players who descended on Austin from Wednesday
through Saturday, she hopes to make her music heard on her own terms.

She was playing a showcase set at South by Southwest, the annual music
convention that makes Austin the center of the music business for four days.
It's rock's equivalent of the Sundance Festival for films, a place where
talent, from grassroots to pro, meets commerce. Some 10,000 musicians and
deal makers converged at South by Southwest, where bands could be heard
nonstop at daytime parties and nighttime club shows 15 hours a day.

(Remainder of this LONG ARTICLE SNIPPED)