[Dixielandjazz] PC gone mad

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Thu Mar 17 11:30:08 PST 2005

Stereotypes and racism does us all no good.  Last night I played a gig with
"Blind" Tony and "Fat" May.  I had never met the singer before and Tony was
one of my students when I taught at Mo School For The Blind.  Today Tony
Simmons is a top pro here in St. Louis.  I never had so much fun in my life.
The singers voice was incredible blues / jazz style.  She did "At Last" the
best that I have ever heard it done.  So why  isn't she on TV and radio and
CD's.  It's because she weighs about 450 pounds.  She's so big she can
hardly walk but what a voice.  Discrimination is a problem but Tony doesn't
care because he's blind and her size and looks mean nothing --it's the voice
and the sound that counts.  Too bad the rest of us aren't "blind" to
stereotypes and racism.  None of us like it and are all subject to it so why
do we do it?
Larry