[Dixielandjazz] Jazz & Poetry & OKOM

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Mar 16 10:13:17 PST 2005

Thanks, Steve--I find this a really literate review of an interesting
attempt. As Ratliff says, it's way more in the realm of jazz-influenced
composition than improvisation but it would be fun to hear how it comes
off. Yes, the 50s stuff of Ginsberg, Ferlinghetti, and the other Beats
& be-boppers started it off, and improvisation was at the center.

Since then, a wide range of approaches, from all-improv to partly
rehearsed to partially scored to totally scored have been used. I think
the jazz & poetry forms are durable and will be around as a subset of
art and entertainment for a long time.

The Jazz and Poetry Connection group I've worked with has one rehearsal
that sets the concept for each poem/jazz combination, and we work from
there. (All of our poems are written, not spontaneous as in "spoken
word" performance). I like this idea of a grounding from which the
players can take off. Someone once said, "You can plan an event, but if
it goes exactly as you planned, it isn't an event." Or as Monk once
said, if you make a mistake it should be one that doesn't sound wrong.
We try to have events and make mistakes that sound right.

I've never heard an OKOM jazz and poetry combination. Has anyone out
there done or heard it? Is this absence because J&P isn't part of the
culture of OKOM musicians? I did use Alvin Alcorn once playing great
moody stuff behind a poem about the blues for a school project in New
Orleans, but a modern group led by the Turbinton brothers did most of
the jazz. I might get slapped around for suggesting this, but it does
seem that the wider range of chordal exploration in modern jazz improv,
the accesibilty of high-speed technique as well as classical
simplicity, and the common use of things like off-the-horn
squeaks--these things make for a larger palate to draw from when
interpreting poetry musically.

Headin' for the hills,

Charlie Suhor