[Dixielandjazz] Stanley's Washboard Kings

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 15 13:03:28 PST 2005

Tom Wiggins wrote:

> PS.  You did not mention if any of the music was any good or listenable, if
> it is, seems to me the Washboard society should jump at the chance to get them
> and find a creative way to release them strictly for the benefit of preserving
> the music, and the best way in the world to do that is through EXPLOITATION
> not sitting in a museum.

Not "washboard" per se, but some GREAT JAZZ by the likes of Jon Erik Kellso
and others who played over the years in this DIXIELAND BAND, that also
included a washboard in the rhythm section.

They may be of IMMENSE VALUE. Though maybe not as important as the Dean
Benneditti (Spelling?) recordings of all of Charlie Parker's soli over an
extensive period of years at venues all over the USA as DB followed Bird
around. (They were re mastered and released a couple of years ago by Mosaic.
Don't know if Parker's estate got anything out of it or not.)

Who knows, someday these tapes may reach cult status. In any event, there
has been little interest in them, and no suggestions from, or about jazz
museums that might be interested. Only interest is from a few individuals so
far who would like to hear them. I believe Stanley himself has copies.

And the band is still active today at the Cajun in NYC.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone