[Dixielandjazz] The "Puboic" Darktown Strutters Ball

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Tue Mar 15 10:19:21 PST 2005

Steve barbone wrote:

>"Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com> wrote
>about Don Ingle's spelling:
>

>>"puboic" you say?  Hmmm.
>>

>Perhaps a Freudian Slip? After all, according to the composer's family, the
>song was written about the famous "Hooker's Ball" held annually in Chicago
>during the early years of the 20th Century. With jazz musician attendees.
>
>Surely Don, having gigged extensively in the Windy City knows quite a bit
>about the connections among Hookers and all that Jazz. :-) VBG.
>
>We should be asking the Hooker's if they are offended. :-) VBG.
>
>Cheers,
>Steve Barbone

Egad -- one little finger slip on the keyboard and I am suddenly the
topic of a DJML post. Of such instant celebrity comes fame I'd as soon
do without.
It was, of course, to have been <public>...and now it certainly is.
Thanks ever so much, Steve. I owe it all this celebrity to you <G>!
Don  Ingle
PS -- All I know about hookers in Chicago was that the small  Near North
hotels were not called "riding academies" for nothing. Today they are
refurbished into small, pricey, almost bed and breakfast inns and you
have to arrange for your own hooker!