[Dixielandjazz] "Oriental Jazz"

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 15 09:23:24 PST 2005

Louis Lince at louislince at neworleansmusic.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Hi Steve and listmates,
>
> In the late '20s and early '30s the "Oriental" phase was replaced by a
> series of "Hawaiian" etc. type songs...eg Drifting and Dreaming, Yaaka Hula,
> My little Bimbo, Beneath hawaiian Skies etc.
>
> Things always were cyclical. I have no doubt that there will be yet another
> craze...BUT please let it not be Rap (where the C is silent)

Hi Louis & List mates:

If you haven't already done so, check out the below web site for the
"History" of why this Oriental Craze happened. Gives a Great analysis of
when it first took root and the Sociology of WHY. Plus a few tunes you never
heard of by way of example.

We often tend to try and separate the Social Background from the Music and
IMO that is a huge error. The social background generates the music in many
ways. Yes, I am repeating it, but THIS IS A GREAT 2 PAGE SITE.

http://parlorsongs.com/issues/2003-1/thismonth/featurea.asp

Cheers,
Steve Barbone