[Dixielandjazz] Oriental tunes/songs/novelty

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Mon Mar 14 20:24:53 PST 2005

Also throw in 2 of my favorite tracks
from Billy May's "Sorta Dixie" album (now on CD.)

"Sheik of Araby" and "Oh By Jingo"
I know Paul Edgerton mentioned those tunes, but
the Billy May renditions are classic.
Which also brings to mind "Hindustan"
"(the cobra is back in the basket") by the Rampart Street Paraders LP CL 648
- features some real fun trombone schtick by Abe Lincoln.

Other old tunes:
"Arab Strut"(Giomi), Araby (Berlin)
 "Down in Bom-Bombay", "Down in Hindu Town"
"Lady of the Nile" (Isham Jones),: My Castle on the Nile" (J. Rosamund Johnson),
Hindoo Hop (Levy)

(probably as 'PC' as "Darktown".) and further east - "Japanese Sandman."

Craig