[Dixielandjazz] F2F at Jazz in the Olympics Festival? and VictoriaHot Jazz?

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sat Mar 12 18:44:26 PST 2005

Dear Len,

To arrange a F2F (face to face) I like to call 'em "DJML BMP) (Bloody Mary
Party):

As a general rule, for a 3 day festival, it is better to arrange a F2F on
Saturday morning.  That way, more people have arrived.  If you have it on
Fri, some people are just arriving in town & getting settled.  On Sunday
morning, lots of them go to the Sunday morning gospel service.  Saturday is
the best day.

Find a place such as a hotel bar (It is always better to have a bar
available).  Try to find a hotel bar that is open @ 10:00 AM.  Any later &
you are going to have some folks not come because their favorite band is
playing at that time.  The F2F usually lasts about one hour.

Talk to the bar manager & make sure that they will be open at 10:00 AM.
Nothing is worse than a bunch of people standing around wishing that the bar
was open.

As a 2nd resort, if you can't find an open bar at that time of day, at least
have the F2F in a place where you can get coffee.

In the past we have had the F2F outside of a members room at the LA Sweet &
Hot.  She always has a poolside room & invites everyone to come.  She
supplies the mix but you gotta bring the vodka.

In AZ one year, one of our members offered to buy all of the members who
showed up, a bloody mary.

In Sacramento, we take over an entire bar on the Delta King, a permanently
moored riverboat in Old Sacramento.

Once you have a spot picked out & have arranged with the owner or manager to
have the bar open, then you announce it on DJML several times.  Keep
announcing it as some of us have short attention spans.

Good luck.

For those of you attending the Sacramento Jazz jubilee, don't forget the
DJML F2F at 10:00 AM on Friday morning on the Delta King.

--Bob Ringwald
Placerville, CA USA