[Dixielandjazz] Re: Yoshio Toyama

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Thu Mar 10 18:07:45 PST 2005

Richard Broadie writes:

(snip)
Yoshio Toyama is the leader of the "Saints" and has an excellent okom band
in Tokyo.  They've been performing at the LA Classic/Sweet n Hot festival
annually for many years.  For years, the band sounded like an exact clone of
Louis Armstrong's All Star groups (to the point that solos were copied note
for note
(snip)

When I had my radio show in the Los Angeles market, I once played a cut each
week from a Yoshio Toyama recording.  It was a contest to name the band.
The listeners went bananas trying to guess who it was.  It was great fun.
Took 'em quite a while, several weeks, before someone guessed it.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
Placerville, CA USA

"There are three kinds of men:
The ones that learn by reading.
The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for
themselves."
--William Penn Adair (Will) Rogers B: 11/4/1879 D: 8/15/1935