[Dixielandjazz] OKOM and kids

David Story daveplaysthepiano at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 4 06:28:51 PST 2005

Teenagers and OKOM

 I lead a teenage big band in a local high school as a volunteer. We are
 performing 2 early jazz pieces (om pa om pa): It don't mean a thing and
 Christopher Columbus. We will be competing in a kids jazz festival this
 spring in NYC. We are all excited. Our repertoire will include the above
 mentioned along with another Ellington Classic, "Caravan", a  Frank Zappa
 classic, "Blessed relief", and an ECM type piece as well.

 I procured a stock of the Fletcher Henderson classic from net. Kids love
it,
 music festivals love it, judges love it, parents love it.

 Today we started work on It don't mean a thing, featuring a classical
 violinist recreating the classic solo from Stephan Grapelli over an early
 arrangement for Duke Ellington. A hit with the kids, all the toes were
 tapping.

 People love this music, which goes to prove: OKOM can survive if we take it
 directly to them.

 From the front:

 David Story
 Dundas ON Canada