[Dixielandjazz] The Whole story on Jakarta Jazz Festival

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Mar 3 19:11:13 PST 2005

Hi Folks:

This makes for a good read for those who don't understand that Jazz has long
ago progressed to include much more than Dixieland and Swing.  I can assure
you all from experience of performing on shows and festivals with James Brown
that his Band Swings and a lot harder than ANY Dixieland Band I have ever heard.
 I even use a few of his band alumni in Saint Gabriel's as often as I can get
them.  They are without a doubt amongst the finest musicians on the planet.
And at a concert price of $120,000.00 a day + 26 First Class R/T Airline
Tickets twenty-six single hotel rooms in 5 Star hotels, etc., etc., they darn sure
are in the real music industry and making a good living.

They are also considered a progressed genre of Jazz all over the world, there
is a lot more jazz than OKOM, it is bigger than all of us, so we best get
over it before they start booking some of us as comedy acts.

Acts like James Brown SELL tickets folks, to the common folks that are not
old enough to have ever heard of Bix or Pops or Wild Bill, Benny Goodman,
Dorsey's etc.  Life did not stop in 1945 for the rest of the world, and many places
are just starting to discover the origins of Jazz.  They don't live in Kansas
and neither does Jazz anymore it moved all over the world.
Many musicians in my age bracket believe that jazz was actually invented by
Ramsey Lewis, Quincy Jones, Vince Gauraldi, Stan Kenton, Maynard Ferguson, Al
Hirt,  Herb Alpert, Al Jerreau, Dizzy, and Miles Davis.  That's what many music
teachers told them and or taught them about Jazz.

Why do you think every newcomer to this list has to ask what OKOM is?????

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

JAKARTA, 18 February 2005 - Peter F. Gontha (credited by many with bringing
Jazz to Indonesia) and A Mild Productions are proud to confirm the forthcoming
Jakarta International Java Jazz Festival (JIJJF), the largest music festival
ever held in Indonesia. 80 bands and some 300 musicians from the United States,
Japan and Brazil, as well as Indonesia, will perform at eleven separate
stages at the Jakarta Convention Center, from 4 to 6 March 2005.

Soul legend James Brown leads a line up of international stars that includes
the Earth, Wind and Fire Experience featuring the Al Mackay All Stars, Eric
Benet, George Duke, Incognito, Michelle Collins, Jeff Kashiwa, Tania Maria, Amp
Fiddler, Angie Stone, Giles Peterson, Jeff Lorber, Lizz Wright, Laura Figy,
Deodato, Tiempo Libre and Vinny Valentino. The local line up includes
Indonesia's 'Art Tatum', the veteran pianist Bubi Chen, the renowned Krakatau and
several other widely acclaimed stars including Ruth Sahanaya, Elfas Choir, Humania
and many many more.

The Festival, the first in a planned annual series, has been warmly welcomed
by both the Culture and Tourism Minister and the Governor of Jakarta, both of
whom have given their full support to an event that provides a portal to the
richness of local arts and culture.

Two Big Festival Additions:

1. Java Jazz on The Move, to be held at the University campuses of Trisakti,
Atmajaya, and the University of Indonesia starting on February 28, supported
by international musicians including Jeff Kashiwa and others.

2. A gospel style service to remember and acknowledge the suffering and
devastation in Indonesia's northernmost provinces of Aceh and North Sumatra.
International artist Jeff Kashiba will join famous local performers in what promises
to be an enriching experience.

Chairman of the Festival Committee, Peter F. Gontha, describes the ground
breaking festival as a medium to not only enhance appreciation of the great
musical genre of jazz, but also to celebrate the new spirit of Indonesia with its
people.

"I hope that those experiencing the great synergy and sense of community
between musicians and jazz lovers here in Indonesia with those from other
countries will also be encouraged to spread the message of peace and understanding
through music " he says.

For further information regarding the festival or for the full schedule of
events visit the website at http://www.javajazzfestival.com