[Dixielandjazz] More Jazz in C alifornia?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 2 05:55:50 PST 2005

Lots of iffy information in this thread. Here's my 2 cents:

1) Why lots of OKOM in California?
   Because most of the bands play for free, or for VERY SHORT money.

2) All trends start in the West?
   Like jazz itself which started in N.O.?

   Or like the current rebirth of jazz in the USA which started in NYC?
   with Burns & Marsalis while "westerners" were moaning about the lack of
   audience and bitching about the B&M TV program and Lincoln Center Jazz.

3) 16 CA festivals show that there is more OKOM jazz there?
   Well, considering that my band plays annually in front of more audience
   than 15 of those festivals draw in total, folks might want to rethink
   where the audience is. ALSO, consider Cullum's total audience, both at
   the Landing and over the airwaves, from little old San Antonio.

4) More jazz Associations in CA.
   True, but they're typically 100 OLD FOGIES strong, mired in the past and
   preserving themselves rather than expanding the audience for jazz.

5) Plus the fact that today, there are probably more steady OKOM gigs in
   NYC than in the whole state of California.

Problem with you left coasters is that you think the sun rises there. You've
got it backwards, that's the setting sun your watching. :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Speaking about bona fide real Californians, both my kids were born
there. Son in Berkeley, Daughter in San Rafael. During the crazy time of
FREE SPEECH, FREE LOVE, HIPPIES and MOTORCYCLE GANGS. Talk about diversity.