[Dixielandjazz] Charlie Frazier

John B ryce brycejo at comcast.net
Wed Jun 29 17:57:54 PDT 2005

I've been following the thread on Tex Beneke and Al Klink and I was curious
as to whether any of the listmates had any information on Charles Frazier
who played tenor sax on all of Jimmy Dorsey's recording from 1935 to about
1943.  He played with Frank Daley's Meadowbrook Orchestra in New Jersey and
when Tommy and Jimmy broke up, Daley sent Charlie to the West Coast with a
letter of recommendation.

Jimmy submitted a side for a collection that Decca put out called "Black
Stick."  The tune was "I Got Rhythm" and charlie plays a wild solo in the
bridge.  That's the only solo work I ever on recored for Charlie and I was
wondering whether any of the listmates knew of any others.

After leaving Jimmy, charlie settled in North Arlington, New Jersey and play
with my father's orchestra among others.  Charlie taught me clarinet and
sax.  I heard that he passed away in the late-1980's in Clearwater, Florida.

Charlie was a hell of a teacher and I would appreciate any info on him.

Thanx

J. D. Bryce
.