[Dixielandjazz] Adjustable Clarinet barrel

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 28 13:04:24 PDT 2005

Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> asked

> Dear friends,
> (This one for clarinet players only. Technical stuff.
> Others may want to delete now.)
> My mate John McCarthy, another of Australia's great reedmen, is trying to
> buy a Bradley adjustable (59mm - 69mm) barrel for his clarinet.
> He saw one advertised in a printed cattledog from about 1998.
> However, I have tried, on John's behalf, to track down this Bradley model
> for him, via Google, with no luck.
> Have Bradley gone out of business?
> Other makers have models which start at 61mm.
> I am assured that there is an audible difference between 59mm and 61mm
> clarinet barrels.
> Any help locating a source for this particular Bradley barrel would be
> appreciated.

Dear Bill:

Don't know if this is a Bradley or not but check out

"Click Tuning Barrel for Clarinet - Seven barrels in one (61mm-67mm). A
system of mechanical interlocks greatly simplifies the process of tuning a
clarinet. Simply pushing the thumb wheel in an upward or downward direction
will increase or decrease the inside length of the barrel. A distinct click,
both audible and tactile, is noticeable at each setting."

See http://www.northwestmusic.ca/h-access.htm

Scroll down till you get to it in the woodwind section.

BTW: Barrel length affect the sharpness or flatness. Shorter = sharper. I
carry two just incase the piano is out of tune. Short one is a 63mm, Moening
design for Buffet. Works great on my Selmer. Never heard the need on my
horns for 59mm. ;-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone