[Dixielandjazz] mailman.0.1119898807.17897.dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Mon Jun 27 21:06:37 PDT 2005

Subject: [Dixielandjazz] OKOM (or at least MKOM) in Elkhart, IN

"Friday Night (7:00-8:00):  A group led by Ken Peplowski with Joe Cohn (guitar), Eddie Higgins (piano), Keter Betts (bass), Charlie Brougham (drums), Jon-Erik Kellso (trumpet), and Bob Havens (trombone)."

"Mix and Match"? Gees that sounds like one of the frontlines of my dreams!

"Saturday Afternoon (3:30-4:30):  Bill Allred's Classic Jazz Band.  Allred looked very good after his surgery and played better than he looked."

I had heard of Bill Allred's medical problems and it is the best of news that he is looking and playing so well!

What a line up of 'hot' players you had at the festival. I know a Dixieland List is the place to read about Bill Allred, Dan Barrett and Bob Havens; but add Roy Williams to that list and it just happens to be this Aussie's four favourite bone players in the world! I just wish our festivals were big enough to regularly attract that level of players. Not that we don't have a few talented hot players of our own but unfortunately our scene seems to be getting smaller and smaller. There are just a few talented youngsters hanging in with us old timers. I guess it is much the same all over.

"We somehow missed every set in which Jake Hanna played drums, and he's another favourite of mine."

I am new to the List and I got involved after meeting Art Woods on another forum. Art had said that he was surprised that I was trying to create a Band-in-a-Box Style that including the drum style of George Wettling - in my opinion the best Dixieland drummer ever! Your mention of Jake Hanna reminds me that I once heard that Jake has Wett's old ride cymbal, which was always so dominant and distinctive in his playing. Does anyone know if Jake still uses it?

Grah

Graham Martin
Email: grahmartin at bigpond.com
Website: http://tromjazz.netfirms.com