[Dixielandjazz] Musical Education & Instruments for School

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Fri Jun 24 15:43:55 PDT 2005

Snip:  2. How's the school's funding for it's sports programs?

They often, depending on the locality make lots of money.  When I was on
tour with the AF band we played a small town in the Missouri Bootheel.  That
town had a Civic center that would seat twice as many people as lived in the
town.  The civic center functioned as the school sports area.  Its a farming
/  cotton area and the people are not wealthy but they are crazy about their
high school sports.  Bands in many areas such as Texas and Florida are just
an extension of that complex.  In those areas bands are big too.  Here they
make money but generally only enough to fund the sports programs which are
supported very well.

Larry - St. Louis