[Dixielandjazz] Beneke & Klink Sax solo from "In The Mood"

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Thu Jun 23 20:18:55 PDT 2005

I've heard them played on air checks, etc. and the solos are altogether
different.  This would indicate that they are improvised.

What you're saying reminds me of what I used to think about the 1939
Metronome All-Stars recording called "The Blues."  The take I always heard
had Tommy Dorsey playing "straight" with Jack Teagarden improvising around
him.  So I thought until I picked up a CD several years ago with another
take in which Dorsey's part is altogether different.  Turned out both were
improvising.

Hal Vickery