[Dixielandjazz] Chris Griffin

Rick Knittel knittelsportland at juno.com
Mon Jun 20 15:15:59 PDT 2005

I remember someone asking Chris in a back stage conversation, what was it
like that night in Carnegie Hall to play that opening phrase of "Don't Be
That Way".

He responded by singing the figure that the brass had, "Bupp Bupp,
Bupp...Bup."

I asked him once whether he knew a Gordon Griffen and he responded that
is my given name. It turned out he had played several gigs with my
fathers society band in 1930 or 1931.

He and Pee Wee Irwin were partners in a music school in northeast and I
remember him as a wonderful player and kind and gentle man with a wry
sense of humor.

Rick Knittel