[Dixielandjazz] Logan is a wrap

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Mon Jun 20 05:40:02 PDT 2005

Logan was jumping this past weekend, and the Boondockers were in top
form. Was happy to meet a number of listees there, plus some good
friends from around the country who showed up toke in the fun. And the
fun was a main reason to make a drive of nearly 500 miles one way to
take in. Today, my back, legs and other parts of my creaking body know
it is getting too old to do this very often, but wouldn't have missed it.
The other groups there were also top flight -- Buffalo Ridge Jazz Band
romped away in high spirited style and  was great to hear.
the Juggernaut JAzz Band made me a believer in good string work -- a
wonderful, tight little group that is also a very funny band in their
routines. Great stuff.
Big Mama Sue is a "belter" -- a term meaning one who can belt out a song
without making it sound like hog calling. Ma Rainey was a belter, and so
is Big Momma.
The piano strides of Chris Celebrese was worth every mile to took to get
to Logan. He makes us natural southpaws envious that he could do so much
with his left hand and still match it with his right. Fine stride, indeed.
Made the tour of the washboard factory -- an interesting place one
should not neglect seeing if you come down next year. While I admit that
seeing so many washboards in one place was awesome, I will admit that up
close they are not as formidable as being up close as the International
Washboard Players on stage.
Makes one glad that this is not the Logan Accordion Festival -- I would
have driven 500 miles as well but north to Hudson Bay Canada!!
As to the Boonies - Pepe Du Bois (a.k.a. Bill Gunter) gave us all an
international version of washboardery; Art 's non-stop one liners and
other drollities kept us laughing, Gary's intermittent amnesia also made
for guffaws, Paul Edgerton's reeds added some sophistication in the
front line, and Jim's trombonistics, including his infamous "Fonk", was
matched by his mastery of at least five other instruments. Talk about a
man with problems of decisions making!
Bob kept the piano busy and his vocals on some good tunes were spot on.
Now the windup with the Boonies all playing banjos was new to us this
year. What next, guys -- group bagpipes? Forget I said that!
Meeting some listees known only by name meant putting a face to go with
the handles and that was a fun part of the weekend.
Now to work to put a magazine to bed and to write my columns for this
week. But getting my mind shifted from fun to work may be the hard part
for it was just one big fun weekend with some good friends, new and old.
Don (and Jean) Ingle