[Dixielandjazz] Swin those songs was NEW TUNES FOR OKOM?

Charlie Hooks charliehooks2 at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 19 13:26:34 PDT 2005

On Sunday, June 19, 2005, at 02:45 PM, Larry wrote:

>> the stuff they
>> write just won't work any more than adapting Bach or Mozart to
>> swing or
>> rock.

I take it you never heard Ward Swingle's The Swingle Singers.

That bunch in  Paris during  the early 60s made Bach swing like Benny
Goodman, and they did a Mozart  album that was almost as good.

Try this: get a bass player who can play (preferably down to low C on
piano) and have him just play the original notes to the bass line on
"Air on the G String)  and think: this line swings!   It will.  I
play it just with clarinet and bass, then add piano and drums.  You
can swing it beautifully without doing violence to Bach--who, I
think, would have loved it!   Haven't tried it with tenor, but might
work even better.  You do need a piano player who can read the
original, as least the first time through.

Charlie