[Dixielandjazz] NEW TUNES FOR OKOM?

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Sun Jun 19 11:50:15 PDT 2005

Up until 1960 or so rock 'n roll swung.  Later pop music didn't swing using
a literal reading of the rhythms that were written.  Older musicians would
look at a string of eighths and swing them while after the 60's the younger
musician would play them as written unless told different.  This influenced
pop music in that the kids didn't swing any longer.  The worst thing a band
leader could say about a band or tune is that it didn't swing.  That's why I
think that most music today really can't be adapted very well to Dixie or
swing is that it just doesn't swing.  Take a tune like the theme from
Titanic.  You could swing it but it would just kill the tune.  Listening to
today's kids play swing is often rather quaint.

While most of us take swing for granted it really isn't that easy of a
concept.  Most of the concept of swing isn't written, you have to know how
to play it.   Take for example accenting the second and fourth eighth notes
in a pattern or in Dixie accenting the quarter in an eighth quarter eighth
pattern.  Getting young musicians to play it is almost like pulling teeth.
When you get them to do it it's wooden and then only counts for the tune
that they are immediately playing with almost no transfer.

Let's face it the kids hear music differently than we did and the stuff they
write just won't work any more than adapting Bach or Mozart to swing or
rock.

Larry Walton
St. Louis