[Dixielandjazz] Re: I Ain't Gonna Give Nobody None Of This Jelly Roll, verse

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jun 18 17:21:23 PDT 2005

Dear Gordon,
Further to the verse of "I Ain't Gonna Give Nobody None Of This Jelly Roll"
sent earlier today.
I was just a little unhappy with last word in the third line: 'He always
wanted a lot of FEED'
I've had another listen and it is 'KIDS'.
I then remembered that I have the Emmett Miller version of the song,
recorded on 8 Jan 1929.
He sings 'Always liked a lot of kids around'

Therefore by combining the two versions the following makes more sense:

Little Willie Green from New Orleans
A greedy boy was he.
Always liked a lot of kids around
Just to keep him company.