[Dixielandjazz] Re: NEW TUNES FOR OKOM?

Ric Giorgi ricgiorgi at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 18 05:59:23 PDT 2005

>>> (I never have understood why you can't do dixieland-waltzes.)
>>>

>> But of course you can.  There's Fats Waller's "Jitterbug Waltz,"
>> there's Steve Allen's "Gravy Waltz."   There's Ann Ronell's "Willow,
>> Weep for Me."  There's "Hello, Young Lovers," written in 3, which,
>> if you haven't played, you have a revelation coming. (You ought to
>> hear Russ Phillips play it in 4 at a lightspeed pace!)
>> There's...oh, hell, there's a million of 'em: "I'll See You Again,"
>> one of Noel Coward's most poignant tunes...almost as gripping as
>> Irving Berlin's "What'll I Do?"   C'mon: THINK, people!  You ever
>> try the 12 bar blues in 3?  No? Try it. Another revelation.

[My Reply:] add to those - My Buddy, Always, I Dream Too Much, The Waltz in
Swing Time (both Jerome Kern), Sunrise - Sunset, Dancing With Tears In Your
Eyes, Charade (another Mancini!) Cruising Down The River, Under Paris Skies,
Why, Matchmaker, Sunrise - Sunset (both Jerry Bock), - wow where do you end
this list OK even try Greensleeves, it works great.