[Dixielandjazz] Quotable quotes......

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 17 22:36:16 PDT 2005

Now why didn't I think of these?

Warm regards,
Bob Romans
Cell Block 7 Jazz Band
1617 Lakeshore Dr.
Lodi, Ca. 95242
209-339-4676
www.cellblockseven2002.net
Cell 209-747-1148
Because I play trumpet, I envy no one.
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

 Quotable quotes......

I like the girls to match the upholstery of the car. -Charlie Barnet-

I wish you wouldn't make the strings such an important part of your
arrangements because frankly they're only a tax dodge! -Tommy Dorsey (to
arranger Nelson Riddle)-

Tastes are created by the business interests. How else can you explain the
popularity of Al Hirt?-Charles Mingus-

The outer space beings are my brothers. They sent me here. They already know
my music. -Sun Ra-

I discovered early in life that if you take gym first period, you can go
into the wrestling room and sit in the corner and sleep. -Paul Desmond-

I was very happy and secure until I went into the army. Then I started to
feel there was something I should know that I didn't know. -Bill Evans-

Jazz is the folk music of the machine age. -Paul Whiteman-

Are big bands coming back? Sure, every football season. -Woody Herman-

Blues is to jazz what yeast is to bread-without it, it's flat. -Carmen
McCrae-

Giving jazz the Congressional seal of approval is a little like making Huck
Finn an honorary Boy Scout. -Melvin Maddocks-

I don't want no drummer. I set the tempo. -Bessie Smith-

I am the world's laziest writer. -Oscar Peterson-

If someone has been escaping reality, I don't expect him to dig my music.
-Charles Mingus -

Miles was a soul man, a sound, a black Humphrey Bogart. He was also an
insufferable p****. -Albert Goldman-

It's taken me all my life to learn what not to play. -Dizzy Gillespie-

I don't mind being the butt of a joke-if it's a funny joke. -Kenny G.-

Those people were mavericks. The only person who wanted them was me. I mean,
was Gene Krupa hard to get? Was Bunny Berigan hard to get? -Benny Goodman-

I spent a lot of time playing in miserable places that were not a lot of
fun. Somebody once said it is character building and I was like 'My
character is just fine.'-Diana Krall-

It's not the mistakes that count, it's what you do after them that counts.
-Thelonious Monk-