[Dixielandjazz] Another thought about the Audience & Obscure Tunes

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 15 13:07:51 PDT 2005

Yes indeed Charlie. Lester and Howard Lanin and Meyer Davis made a fantastic
living with tunes like these mixed in with Dixieland and non-rock. In fact,
they employed many jazz musicians for their "Society Gigs". Pee Wee Erwin,
Kenny Davern, et al among them.

First thing Lanin(s) or Davis would tell a jazz musician is, Kid, you want
to make a lot of money, you gotta learn these tunes. No wrong notes.

Then the jazz musos learned the book. That's why today, Barbone Street can
play in some form or another, 2000+ songs. Including all the show tunes from
the 20s to the 80s, and then some.

Them wuz the daze. But today, one dowager said to me: "You've become the
successor to Lanin." And perhaps we have given some of the "Society" gigs we
play. But make no mistake, we play solid Dixieland Jazz at these gigs and
the rich folks all know how to Foxtrot to it.

Cheers,
Steve