[Dixielandjazz] Another thought about the Audience & Obscure Tunes

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Jun 15 12:35:45 PDT 2005

On Jun 15, 2005, at 1:46 PM, Steve barbone wrote:

> Thinking again about last night's audience.
>
> We did not play obscure tunes. But we did play some American Songbook
> Tunes
> by request. Want to see old folks get sentimental? Then instead of
> playing
> the obscure crap as described by Sheik, explore the following, or
> tunes like
> them with your Dixieland format Band.
>
> Stardust
> Tenderly
> I Can't Get Started
> They Can't Take That Away From Me
> The Way You Look Tonight
> I'm Getting Sentimental Over You
> Begin the Beguine
> Body & Soul
> Tea For Two
> Can't Help Lovin' That Man of Mine
> Fascinating Rhythm
> Blue Room
> If I Were a Bell
> Fly Me To The Moon
> Etc., Etc., Etc.

Time was, even into the 60s, tunes like these were the staple on 4-7
piece combo gigs, mixed with some good Dixie and a few non-rock popular
tunes. Did we know how great we had it? For the most part, yes.  Oddly,
I've got five combo gigs within month, private parties where this is
exactly what the people want. Not at all typical but I'll take it when
it shows up. We also play such tunes when the local big band works, but
it's not as much fun. Good charts, not much blowing. Just like back in
school, except that we don't woodshed much (or enough) but play many
tunes from a big repertoire. ("Okay, pull up #246 in the red book.")

Charlie Suhor