[Dixielandjazz] The Audience for Dixieland

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 15 09:03:40 PDT 2005

Actually, there is  HUGE EXISTING AUDIENCE for Dixieland and/or American
Songbook Music in the USA. Everybody over 60 is in that audience. That is a
LOT OF PEOPLE

Like more than 30,000,000 in the USA
and more than  11,000,000 in the UK.

Most do not go to OKOM Festivals, yet THEY LOVE THIS MUSIC.

So how come it ain't popular? Is is popular, most of us OKOM bands are just
not playing where the old folks are. (How's that for a demographic switch
from "play where the kids are"?)

CASE IN POINT

>"Steve, Just a note to thank you all for a terrific evening last night. Since I
>got in to work, I have had a ³gazillion² compliments from residents stopping by
>the office. Hope you all will return sometime. Thanks, Kim"

>Kim *********, Director of Resident Services,  Bryn Mawr PA

Got this E-Mail this morning. The venue may just be the most upscale
Retirement facility in the USA. Beautiful (very expensive) grounds on the
Main Line just outside Philadelphia. About 160 residents, virtually any one
of them more wealthy than all of us put together. Facility is coop owned by
the residents. Some villas there go for upwards of a million dollars, plus a
monthly maintenance fee which would quickly buy a Ferrari.

We arrive in our casual dress last night. Residents are all beautifully
dressed in suits and designer clothing. Dinner for about 140 people is being
served by 20 or so formally dressed in tuxedo. Average age is about 85.
Think "Philadelphia Story" to get the idea of a summer party with folks in
diamonds and gold, but still, veddy understated. Yeah, "old money" and
conservative folks.

Oh, oh, says I to myself. I hope I didn't oversell the band. This looks like
a Lester Lanin gig. Better start with "Ain't She Sweet".

Well, I have to tell you these people went absolute nuts. The hollered, they
cheered, they danced. They loved a high energy Tiger Rag, as about 12
Princeton Grads stood up and waved napkins. Etc, etc. Oldest person there?
107, youngest? 71. Blood color BLUE.

At the end easily 50 people came up, surrounded us and talked misty eyed for
40 minutes about what a good time they had. Three ladies who were visiting
resident friends asked for contact information stating; "I give lots or
parties and want your band." or "Will you come to Florida for winter weekend
parties?" etc. Booked two Main Line Parties at rates that would scare the
other band leaders on the DJML. (May also go to Florida for a winter weekend
party in Palm Beach)

Wow, and we say there is no audience? Man, time to quit thinking that the
Festival scene is where it's at. This segment of the audience wouldn't be
caught dead at an OKOM festival. Nor would about 29 million plus other older
Americans.

Opportunity is knocking all over the place. For goodness sake, answer the
door. HELLOOOOOOO?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone