[Dixielandjazz] Re: Competition in the arts?

Patrick Cooke amazingbass at cox.net
Wed Jun 15 09:01:11 PDT 2005

MIke Vax said:

     >The problem is that many band  programs
>today have become extensions of the athletic >department.  They  exist to
>enter
>competitions and win trophies.  What does that mean?   >They learn three or
>four
>tunes for each band (jazz, concert, and marching) for  the >whole year, and
>that is it!!!!!!!  They keep working on these tunes  over >and over.
.
        Mike, this is probably true in a lot of cases....the students
education is lower priority than winning a competion.
        I have to say that I don't believe in competions in the arts.  Can
you imagine a competion between Renoir, Degas, Van Gogh, and Monet?  Or a
competition between Hemingway, Joyce, and Dickens? or how about a
competition between Cole Porter Jerome Kern, and George Gershwin?  Its
absurd.  To say that one is better than the other is purely subjective, and
if you're going to buy one, buy the one the judges liked as opposed to the
one you like.
        It would appear that over half the girl children in the country
attend dancing schools.  Taking dancing lessons is fine, but the focus is on
the revue, and the competitions.  Both are mainly revenue enhancers for the
schools, point the focus of the learning process in the wrong direction.
        The arts are not athletic events.  It is impossible to keep a valid
score.  The results rest only on the opinions of the judges.  I would do
away with all competitions in the arts....that goes for the magazine polls,
the Academy awards, the Grammys, etc.
        I played for a singer/drummer who got a teeny fan club for himself
started, and got them all to make multiple entries in the downbeat poll for
him.  That year he actually came in second to Sinatra! It's a million to one
you never heard of him.
        A cutting contest is something else.  There are no prizes awarded.
Everyone goes home knowing who they liked the best.
        Pat Cooke