[Dixielandjazz] Wrong impressions

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Jun 14 21:38:15 PDT 2005

One way to do it is what I mentioned a few days ago - Bill Armstrong
(Turk's banjo player for a while) decided to form a high school Trad
jazz band in the 70's so he just went ahead and did it! The Churchill
St. Jazz Band of Palo Alto, CA was the result of his efforts and many
dozens of OKOM musicians have since passed though that organization.
The mix of older, experienced musicians and young students really
worked ( I was in the band for about 4 years full time and then
off-and-on for many years after that and I really learned a lot. )

Some of the "Youth Bands" that I see around Northern California these
days have the problem of all being about the same age (and experience)
so they have very little guidance or true criticism. Sure, they have a
coach or two (dedicated OKOM fans or musicians) but it is a totally
different thing to be playing week after week with  experienced
musicians who have had 20 or 30 years experience with the style.  We
were playing for pretty good money - it was not a hobby thing and most
of the band members have continued to play since those days.

As background, I played in a High School "Stage Jazz Band" in the late
1960s - not OKOM but still a lot of interesting things were taught. But
the most important group I was in back then was the Pep Band - the
students ran it, chose the music, set the rehearsal schedule, uniforms
- everything! We had a great time and really played our a**es off!  We
made sure that the band teacher had the absolute minimum input (and I
think he was happier for it ;-)

My step-daughter is going through the high school music thing right now
( chorus, not instrumental) and I try to refrain from commenting too
much. The kids do get a whole lot of great training and performance
experience and the really work hard. It does  seem like the most
creative members of the choir have to strike out on their own to do
anything approaching true jazz, but they are somehow rewarded for their
extra effort.

Dave Richoux