[Dixielandjazz] OKOM??

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Tue Jun 14 10:16:10 PDT 2005

In a message dated 6/14/2005 6:04:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

If, as  we seem to agree, that "Ambassador Satch" is GREAT, why the hell
don't more  bands play with that kind of fire, energy and volume?

Cheers,
Steve  Barbone

At the risk of sounding "egotistic" or whatever, while I wish I could play
1/3 as great as Louis did, my bands have always been patterned after that
album,  in the way we approach the music.  Both the swinging feel and the "fun"
that they were having with the audiences!  But then, I have been accused  many
times, of both not keeping with the tradition of the music, and of playing  the
trumpet "too high" for dixieland jazz. Well, I learned both of those things
listening to Louis Armstrong, long before I was listening to people like
Maynard  Ferguson.
Louis was the "original" high note player.
As Steve has said at different times on this list, we play the repertoire
for "today."  Kids LOVE when we play "Alexander's Ragtime Band" as a funk  tune.
 We also play more modern tunes as "dixieland" tunes.  Playing  "Honeysuckle
Rose" and "Scrapple From the Apple" or "Indiana" and "Donna Lee"  together are
not only wonderful ways of showing jazz history, but always get to  young
jazz players in schools and colleges who have never thought about the  connection
between be-bop and traditional jazz.
My feeling has always been get to them with something that they relate to,
and then bring them backwards in time to where you want them to be.
Luckily, there are also more and more fans at festivals these days who will
accept this attitude.
I can remember about 25 years ago when I moved back to California from New
Orleans and started playing the "trad" festivals.  The guys in my band had  a
joke back then, that they knew how well we were swinging, by how many white
haired people were running for the exits in the very first  tune................
My hope has always been that the great musicians who have gone before, who
were so creative with a brand new music back in the early days of jazz, would
like where we have taken their tunes.  We have not just re-created
arrangements that have been played the same for decades.
Just my "take" on OKOM........................
Mike Vax