[Dixielandjazz] Sissified Dixieland

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 14 07:32:09 PDT 2005

Craig Johnson took me to task and rightly so.

As a mea culpa, I plead that there are no absolutes. Not every obscure tune
sucks etc. By the same token not every rendition of WWW sucks either. That
tune has more nuances than most when played by a competent band. So if the
glove doesn't fit, don't wear it. ;-) VBG.

Am I hung up on the issue of OKOM?

Damn right. Because the audiences are declining EXCEPT FOR MINE, and most
bands today don't know, nor do they want to know that they are the problem,
not the audience.

Regarding personal likes and dislikes, please do not think I am trying to
belittle anyone's opinions. All opinions have merit and value and I will
defend them all.

What I scream at is the narrow mindedness of today's pseudo intellectual
approach to Dixieland. Let's face it, Dixieland is the SIMPLEST and EASIEST
form of jazz there is for a musician to play. What we seem to have forgotten
about it is what those three little 5 to 10 year old kids said in school
yesterday. Plus what another kid said in school last semester.

1) Jazz can be soft and melodic.
2) Jazz is music to dance to.
3) Jazz is music you make up in your head.  +

4) That jazz is loud and makes you want to jump around.

OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES.

So by all means, folks like or dislike whatever you want. That is your right
and you are therefore right. BUT remember, your views as an individual are
pretty insignificant considering that billions of other people in the world
are in the audience also.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone