[Dixielandjazz] Ken Colyer

Brian Harvey pembroke.dock02 at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 13 06:35:18 PDT 2005

I was saddened by the lack of appreciation and understanding of Ken Colyer's
work by fellow list members last week.
Most seemed to be ignorant of the fact that he could take a pick-up band and
have such a catalytic effect that in just a few numbers it could sound fine.
They also seem blissfully unaware of his appreciation and understanding of
the unique inner rhythms of New Orleans jazz with which he was able to
infuse his own bands.
When Judy said of Ken that she could not see what all the fuss was about
then I suppose she would say the same about Pee Wee Russell or even Brad
Gowans?
Percy Humphrey - the much respected veteran New Orleans trumpet man said of
Ken after playing in the same band with him - "Ken - he knew".
Ken's work, his greatness was obviously - and sadly - to subtle for many.
Brian Harvey