[Dixielandjazz] Out from lurking, but why??

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Mon Jun 13 06:21:51 PDT 2005

Mike Vax wrote, in part:

> ... 3. It is interesting to me that almost all the bands discussed
> on this  list, when talking about Sacramento were very trad bands
> or all-star bands.  There were plenty of other wonderful bands
> there, but I guess many of you  didn't bother to hear them.

I'd guess that's because this is a Dixieland Jazz Mailing List, and the
majority of the subscribers like to listen to Dixieland/ Trad Jazz groups.
I expect that if we were discussing Sacramento on a Cajun/Zydeco Mailing
List, there'd be a lot of talk about "Gator Beat" and other bands who play
in that style.

This was our first visit to Sacramento, and I know that we purposely tried
to hear some of the guest artists and all-star groups, some of the trad
bands we'd never heard before, and also some of the trad bands that have
become personal favorites.

> 4. ... I have to agree that one of my  favorite recordings of
> all time is "Ambassador Satch!"  Talk about great  energy and
> great solos, while being recorded live...............

I agree.  That was the first OKOM album that I ever purchased, some time in
the early 1960's, and I darned near wore it out.  I still have it, packed
away among about 300 other (mostly classical) LP's.

Jim O'Briant
Tuba
Gilroy, CA