[Dixielandjazz] Sop Sax Vibrato + Loud Music

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Sun Jun 12 13:02:40 PDT 2005

John:  Great comment.  As I have said there are many different styles of
vibrato.  Not being an expert on all the worlds vibrato technique or desired
tone especially as played in Europe.   I can't comment except that vibrato
seems to be a world wide phenomenon.

I would agree with you that the sound is different from what I've heard
here.  Clarinet players try for a full warm sound with a centered tone.  All
of the clarinets that I have ever played on seem to fall into the same
category.

The only wrong way, in my opinion, to produce vibrato is to let it get into
the thought.  Some singers produce a thought vibrato but it's usually fast
and uncontrollable.  I call it the Minnie Mouse or Dolly Parton vibrato.
Doing that on san instrument restricts the air passage and will not give as
good a tone.  This is a definite style but it's one I really don't like.

Vibrato styles come and go as tastes change from fast to slow, none to a
lot, none to constant, twittering to a slow moan and everything in between.

I used to hate Pete Fountain's vibrato and now I'm starting to do it.  Go
figure.

Larry Walton
St. Louis